Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring Cleaning

Spring has sprung and we've been doing some desperately needed Spring cleaning. While the boys were out back doing battle (backyard vs. mower - it was a close call), I was going through my knitting stuff.

Earlier today I took a look around and discovered that things have really spread throughout the house (finding knitting paraphernalia in the kitchen pantry was the last straw). So after a bit of organizing, the knit creep has been safely contained to just a few areas.

One of the things I did was go through my stash and - gasp! - got rid of a bit. This is stuff I will never use and no longer liked. (I used to be quite happy with acrylics. I know. I've matured a lot this past year.) I took a bag of yarn and donated it to a local yarn shop, to be used for people who need knitting supplies to teach kids to knit in schools. This way I clear out room for the things I really like and let the stuff I don't need gets put to a good use.

Doesn't it feel like the house gets lighter when you get rid of things from inside? It's strange, because personifying the house and thinking it just lost weight is a load of bunk, but... I do think that having too much stuff in your life just weighs a person down and takes your mind away from more important things.

So, now I challenge you to do a Spring cleaning of your own. Go through your stuff (and not necessarily just knitting stuff), pull out things you don't like, will not ever be using, haven't used in many years, and donate it to a charity of your choice. You'll get some free space in your home and your unwanted things will go to a place where they are needed.

Happy Spring to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment