Saturday, October 9, 2010

Blocking

The first time I made a hat it was supposed to be a beret. After working very hard to get it done, I looked at it and just didn't see the beret shape. So I put the hat on, thinking that maybe it looks different on the head. It didn't and I was very disappointed. What I didn't know is that you get that shape by blocking the item.


What a difference blocking makes! Here's before and after blocking pictures of the same hat.





I blocked the hat by getting it wet (although I washed it to get all the dirt and any extra dye out) and put it on a dinner plate to dry overnight. Not that much effort, but what a difference!

The hat was made with Cascade 220 Superwash, pattern is from the new Knitty issue (Deep Fall 2010), Brambles.

Blocking really shows your work. And gives a hat that jaunty look that puts a spring in your step!

No comments:

Post a Comment