Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year Projects

Happy New Year! I just realized I haven't posted anything since the start of the new year. Oops! I need to remedy that.

I've been reading - which is a real luxury to me - several wonderful books by Phillippa Gregory. I started with "The Constant Princess", moved to "The Other Boleyn Girl" (and the book is MUCH better than the movie, in case you're wondering), and am now working on "The Boleyn Inheritance". What a treat!

Something else I've been working on is creating a couple of patterns for the techniques afghan KAL. I did a couple of small 6" squares to start since I've never written a pattern before. This has been interesting. Proofing is the worst. Even after I've gone over the chart many times and have knitted up the square for the ump-teenth time I'm still finding errors. Yikes!

I sent an email to one of my friends on what I've learned so far on the creating process:
  1. Do not use a dark blue for the cable patch - it makes things hard to see. Use a LIGHT color yarn. (DUH - don't they tell you that in all the books? Yup.)
  2. Use wool or other blockable material. I used a wool/acrylic blend - it majorly wadded up on me and that stuff doesn't block well. (I also tried it with acrylic. Yuck!)
  3. You can only cable on ODD rows - Right Side facing. (Yes, I did.)
  4. Use a counter to prevent you from losing track of which row you're on. (Yup, did that, too.)
The good news if that I've finished 2 block patterns and they look pretty good. Need to get some more done. I sure hope this process doesn't kill me...

Your in Knitting,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment