Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hatty Halloween!




Happy Halloween! Or rather, Hatty Halloween. That's what I did while waiting for little trick-or-treaters this year.


I did my first-ever top-down hat, AND I used Judy's Magic Cast-on (killed 2 birds with 1 stone on this)! This is a free pattern from Lyon Yarns (# 70177, "Lace Beanie"). It specified a cotton-blend yarn, but I used some left-over Wool-ease with a size 7 needle. The hat starts with just 6 stitches and grows outwards like this:




Needless to say, I am now a convert for Judy's cast-on. It doesn't show the starting point and there are no "blow holes" left at the top. It's magical! (A "blow hole" is a ring at the top of the hat that is formed when you pull a string through the last remaining stitches. It's ugly, but it does provide ventilation.) You can see a demonstration of this magical cast by clicking on Cat Bordhi - Judy Becker's Magic Cast-On under my Knitting Help links.


I finished the rim of the hat with a little left-over fake fur to add some color interest (and because I had run out of the main color). I did one round of the fake fur before casting-off. I think it turned out OK.


We didn't get too many trick-or-treaters this year, but Mr. Pumpkin Head and I got along just fine. Many Hatty Returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment